Kit Siang rues double standards in Mkini, Star raids

comments     Published     Updated

DAP supremo Lim Kit Siang has lamented what appeared to be double standards in the raids against Malaysiakini and The Star Online by police and the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC).

This was over reports about the transfer of deputy public prosecutor Shazalee Abdul Khairi who was involved in the SRC International probe at the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC).

"Pakatan Harapan leaders have been on the receiving end of lies and criminal defamation for years but I do not see the police and MCMC taking any action against the Umno/BN and pro-Umno/BN media or cybertroopers for these flagrant lies and falsehoods.

"A classic case is the Utusan Malaysia front-page report that the DAP wanted to create a Christian Malaysia, which was not on a most mischievous, malicious and diabolical lie – but no action had been taken by the authorities against Utusan Malaysia not only in this instance but also many similar such cases by the same guilty parties," he said in a statement today.

Lim said the raids should be condemned in the strongest possible term as part of a "repressive plan" to create a culture of fear to stifle freedom of expression and dissent in the country.

"The government of Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak has done enough to stain Malaysia's reputation as a moderate, transparent and democratic nation without more violations of basic democratic rights and freedoms of Malaysians as in the police and MACC raids on Malaysiakini and Star Online yesterday," he said.

The investigation against Malaysiakini and The Star were based on a complaint lodged by the Attorney-General's Chambers.

A police case brief said the complaint was filed by an officer with the AG’s Chambers on Nov 3 and is being investigated under Section 500 of the Penal Code for criminal defamation.

"It was found the articles contained defamatory elements and a police report was lodged on the issue as there was ill-intention and it damaged the good name of the AG's Chambers," the brief states.

A form of intimidation

The action is despite de facto Law Minister Nancy Shukri confirming on Thursday that Shazalee was given an internal transfer within MACC.

AG Mohamed Apandi Ali ( photo ) has insisted that Shazalee was not transferred out of the MACC.

However, Malaysiakini 's article never stated whether Shazalee was transferred out or within the MACC.

Meanwhile, journalist group Gerakan Media Marah (Geramm) has also strongly condemned the raids .

"We view this as a form of intimidation and an attempt by the powers that be to exert control over the media and its independence.

"Geramm strongly protest this action and ask that the authorities respect the right of the media to report without fear or favour and to fulfill its role to inform and educate the public freely," they said in a statement today.

All the actions against investigative authorities and the press over "a certain high profile investigation of extreme public interest" has increasingly made the government look like a police state.

"We are sure that this is not the image that authorities want to be perpetuated, though their actions does nothing but promote this viewpoint," they said.

While they acknowledged that some media reports may be sensationalised, they urge the government to use proper recourse to counter them such as the right of reply in the media.

Legal means should only be used as a last resort, they said.

It was Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak himself who once promised to uphold media freedom, they reminded.



Malaysiakini
news and views that matter


Sign In