Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak wants Malaysian officials to work with Philippine authorities to bring home the remains of Malaysian Bernard Then Ted Fen as soon as possible.
"I learned with deep sadness that DNA tests by Philippine authorities confirmed the remains found in Jolo are that of the late Bernard Then.
"I want Malaysian officials to liaise with the authorities in the Philippines and bring home the remains as soon as possible to help provide closure to his family," he said on his Facebook and Twitter accounts.
Najib conveyed his condolences to the family of the late Then.
Philippine authorities had confirmed that a severed head found in the southern island of Jolo to be that of the slain Malaysian hostage, based on DNA tests.
Inspector-general of police Khalid Abu Bakar yesterday said that police had been verbally informed of the matter and were awaiting a written report from the Philippine side.
On Dec 15, Deputy Foreign Minister Reezal Merican Naina Merican said a Philippine security team had found a headless body, believed to be that of Sarawakian Then.
He was kidnapped by a group of armed men at a seafood restaurant in Sandakan, Sabah on May 14, together with restaurant manager, Thein Nyuk Fun, 50, who was released on Nov 8.
However, Then, 39, was beheaded at an isolated location in Jolo island on Nov 11.