Kuala Lumpur police have denied inaction against Kota Raya Shopping Complex traders who have supposedly cheated their customers.
The city’s police chief Tajudin Md Isa said the matter is still under investigation, and thus far, two investigation papers on alleged cheating have been opened based on the complaints received.
Furthermore, one suspect for both cases has been arrested and would be remanded until today, while a second suspect is still at large and being tracked down.
A raid was also conducted on Sunday at the shopping complex, where 500 handphones suspected to be fake had been seized, he said.
“I’d like to stress and advise members of the public not to indulge in speculation that can interfere and affect the investigation.
“The police will continue investigations and complete the investigation papers for referral to the prosecutors,” Tajudin said in a statement last night.
He was responding to a claim by the Malaysian Muslim Consumers Association (PPIM) yesterday that the police have not taken action against traders at the shopping complex.
Conspiracy behind lack of arrests
PPIM chief activist Nadzim Johan claimed that none of the Kota Raya traders had been arrested despite numerous complaints, and there is a conspiracy with the police behind the lack of arrests.
Instead, he said, one of the NGO’s activists Muhammad Yusuf Azmi was arrested for trying to help.
Kota Raya was the scene of a brawl on Dec 20, when purported victims confronted a mobile phone shop that had supposedly cheated them. Two were left with light injuries following the incident.
Earlier, a mobile phone shop in the same shopping complex had also locked up a customer for several hours, after the latter changed his mind about purchasing several phones at an inflated price.
A consumer’s tribunal has ruled in favour of the customer on Dec 15.
