Bangladeshi workers deported from Singapore over 'support for jihad'

comments     dpa     Published     Updated

Twenty-seven Bangladeshi construction workers have been deported from Singapore for "supporting the armed jihad ideology" of militant groups like al-Qaeda and the Islamic State, the Ministry of Home Affairs said today.

The ministry said that 26 of the men had been part of a religious study group that subscribed to the teachings of ideologues like the cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, al-Qaeda's spiritual leader in Yemen who was killed in a US drone strike in 2011.

The remaining Bangladeshi national - also a construction worker - was not part of the main group, but was described by the ministry statement as being "in the process of becoming radicalised."

A number of those arrested between Nov 16 and Dec 1 last year admitted to support for armed jihad, or war in the name of Islam, according to the ministry.

Jihad-related material such as books and videos were recovered from the group, although the group had no plans to carry out attacks in Singapore, said the press release.

"Members were encouraged to return to Bangladesh and wage armed jihad against the Bangladeshi government. They had also sent monetary donations to entities believed to be linked to extremist groups in Bangladesh," the statement said.

Twenty-six of the men have been deported to Bangladesh, the ministry said. The remaining worker was still in prison for attempting to evade capture.

The ministry had not announced the arrests before due to "operational reasons," Home Affairs Ministry spokesperson Sunny Lee said.

"Foreigners are guests of our country and they should not abuse this privilege and use Singapore as a base to import their own domestic political agenda and carry out activities in pursuit of such an agenda," the ministry statement said.

A spokesperson for the Dhaka Metropolitan Police refused to comment on the case.

An officer at the police headquarters said that security agencies were investigating allegations that the workers were planning jihad.

"Most of them were sent to jail pending the investigation while a few others were released after they talked to police," the officer told dpa by phone, requesting not to be named because he is not authorised to talk to the media.

- dpa



Malaysiakini
news and views that matter


Sign In