Batu Caves visitors unfazed by terror concerns
Amid concerns of a possible terrorist attack, visitors at the Sri Subramaniar Swamy Temple in Batu Caves appear to be unfazed by such threats.
As Thaipusam celebrations at the temple are in full swing and armed police and military personnel patrol the area, visitors approached by KiniTV today either reported that they feel safe on the temple grounds, or they won't allow such concerns to bother them.
One visitor, Aisya, who came to admire the design of the surroundings, said she felt safe amid the heavy security presence.
“ The police are everywhere, so I feel safe. No worries about any (untoward incidents). I see many policemen and ambulances, so no worries about that,” she said.
Meanwhile, a UK tourist who identified himself only as Bryan said he won't allow fears terrorism to stop him from enjoying what he calls 'a wonderful day'.
He said this even as he conceded that security can never be perfect in such a busy place.
“ I think, to be honest, you can't let that stop you. You'd have to carry on and just be vigilant wherever you go. I'm not worried about it, to be honest,” he said.
Another tourist, Ionut, who hailed from Romania, shared similar sentiments.
He told KiniTV that he was not aware that the Thaipusam celebrations here were considered a possible target.
However, he added that he had just arrived here from India, where tourists are concerned about the risks of being caught in a terrorist attack but still go about enjoying themselves anyway.
“ It feels very safe. To me, I don't think there are any issues,” he said.
As for the Slovakian tourist who identified himself only as Justin, he told KiniTV that he felt safe and appeared to be more concerned about learning more about the Thaipusam celebrations.
“ I'm not worried about my own safety. The people are happy because of this celebration, but I don't know what celebration this is.
“ This is like the biggest Hindu celebration, no? I'm checking the internet to see what kind of celebration this is, but I'm not worried the terrorists. I feel safe,” he said.
No worries
Meanwhile, Surya from Seremban who has been visiting the temple every year for the past 25 years said he is unconcerned.
“ The police are here. The soldiers are here. They can help. I'm not worried,” he said.
China tourist Xu Dexun said the security at the temple is 'quite good', and he too is unconcerned about the possibility of a terrorist attack.
“ I'm not worried. I believe that the terrorists have nowhere to hide,” he said.
Security in major public areas throughout Malaysia has been beefed up since the Jakarta attacks on Jan 14 over fears of follow-up attacks on Malaysian soil.
The police and the army had started conducting joint patrols at the Sri Subramaniar Swamy Temple since Thursday last week.
Gombak police chief Ahmad Ali had reportedly assured temple visitors of their safety and warned against speculating about security matters.
As for the joint patrols, Bernama had quoted him saying that it is a precautionary step.
“ Terror attacks can happen anywhere. As such, the police are taking precautions, including at Batu Caves,” he reportedly said.
Meanwhile at a press conference at the temple earlier today, MIC president Dr S Subramaniam expressed thanks to the police for ensuring security and allowing devotees to fulfil their vows in a conducive environment.
“ It (security) is a challenge, but I think they have done their best,” he added.
Reporting by Robin Koh, KiniTV.
For more news and views that matter, subscribe and support independent media for only RM0.36 sen a day:
Subscribe now