Most Read
Most Commented
Read more like this
mk-logo
News
Minister hits back at bloggers running down MACC
Published:  Feb 16, 2016 4:58 PM
Updated: 1:28 PM

Minister in the Prime Minister Department Paul Low today hit out at blogs which accused the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) of being politically partisan.

"I am sad that there are bloggers accusing MACC of politicising or siding with certain political parties, questioning its integrity and so forth.

"I strongly believe those are baseless allegations directed at the MACC for whatever reasons - I do not know.

"I cannot imagine any member of the public would run down and destroy an institution like the MACC," he said in a radio interview with MACC.fm.

He urged the public to defend MACC, citing as an example the public reactions in Indonesia in relation to the country's Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK).

"In Indonesia, the public strongly supports the KPK. It's like you don't touch the KPK or we go out on the streets.

"For an organisation like the MACC, we need this public support," he said.

Low said the MACC might have faced "tough times" in the past, but it had undergone restructuring particularly in the last four years.

"Today, it has a strong integrity culture and I don't believe the officers will simply abuse their position," he said.

He also encouraged MACC to soldier on and defend itself against attacks.

Earlier in the interview, Low was asked if the government is working on improving the right to information.

Low said it was not yet a priority but the government will work towards this end in the long term.

"It requires a great deal of infrastructure to cater for this and I think we are not yet ready," he said.

However, Low said that in the interim, the government can take the initiative by unilaterally realising information such as the terms of concession agreement.

Low said among the government's efforts now is to introduce the concept of corporate liability as required under the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPPA).

He said under the current law, only someone who bribes can be charged but after changes were instituted, their employers can also be liable.

Low said another area the government is working on is "sick" public work projects.

"Quite frankly, if I have it my way, contractors who continue to fail and don't deliver, I will ask for them to be blacklisted.

"We cannot go on condoning what they are doing," he said.

He said the government is also looking at the issue of collusion or cartels in bidding for public projects.


Please join the Malaysiakini WhatsApp Channel to get the latest news and views that matter.

ADS