Cabinet removed former prime minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad from his post as Petronas adviser, a position he has held since retiring as premier in 2003.
In a press statement from the prime minister's office on March 11, it said Mahathir should no longer be holding positions in any government-linked entities, as he has renounced support for the present government.
"The Cabinet discussed the actions of the former prime minister, particularly in launching the 'Citizens' Declaration' jointly with opposition party leaders last week.
"The declaration aims to topple the government through an act contrary to the law and the Federal Constitution," it said in the statement.
On March 4, the former premier had helmed the inking of the Citizens' Declaration which seeks to oust Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak from office through lawful means and to reform key institutions and agencies.
The declaration was endorsed by 45 signatories, which included Mahathir’s allies from Umno, opposition politicians, and civil society leaders.
Meanwhile, Petronas said it respects any decision taken by the government on the position of adviser to the national oil company.
"The appointment is the prerogative of the government," Petronas said in a statement, according to Bernama.
Mahathir, for now, remains the chairperson of Proton Holdings Bhd, a post which he has held since his appointment in June 2014.