Passports returned to detained Australian journalists
Police returned the passports of two Australian journalists detained yesterday for allegedly breaching a security cordon to pose questions to Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak.
The Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) programme ‘Four Corners’ crew Linton Besser and Louie Eroglu tried to do so during the PM’s walkabout in Kota Sentosa, Kuching last night, Sarawak police said.
“Both were released without charge on Sunday, but have been told not to leave the country.
“Their passports were initially seized but have since been returned,” the ABC reported today.
Sarawak police said reporter Besser and camera operator Eroglu had “aggressively” pursued Najib, prompting the arrest.
They are being investigated under the Penal Code for obstructing a public officer from conducting his duty.
Home Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said it was a security issue.
Foreign journalists are not barred from reporting in Malaysia, he said, but must adhere to ethics and security protocol.
‘Four Corners’ executive producer Sally Neighbour said the duo were reporting on alleged corruption involving Najib.
Last year, the Malaysian government deported an Australian journalist attached to news network channel Al Jazeera over a documentary on the murder case of Mongolian woman Altantuya Shaaribuu.
Najib was dragged into the case when his associate Abdul Razak Baginda and two police commandos then assigned as his bodyguards, Sirul Azhar Umar and Azilah Hadri, were charged in the case.
Abdul Razak was acquitted without his defence being called for abetment in the 2006 murder, while the two former policemen were convicted and sentenced to death.
Sirul fled the country and is now in immigration detention in Sydney, because Australian law forbids deportation of those facing death penalties in their home countries.
For more news and views that matter, subscribe and support independent media for only RM0.36 sen a day:
Subscribe now