story image
mk-logo
News
BUCG settles with crane tragedy victim's kin
Published:  Sep 8, 2016 11:34 AM
Updated: 1:42 PM

Family members of the victim of the falling crane hook tragedy of fortnight ago have reportedly reached an amicable understanding with the China-based firm Beijing Urban Construction Group (BUCG).

As such, the family will not be pursuing legal action against BUCG for its role in causing the death of administration executive Joice Chin Khoon Sing (previously reported as Chim Khoo Sing), 23.

According to a report by The Star, Joice’s brother Chin Khoon Ying, 26, the family is happy and satisfied by the assistance given by BUGC since the tragedy on Aug 25.

“After meeting with them and receiving assistance from them, we came to an understanding […]

“We now wish to put the tragedy behind us because prolonging it will only cause more pain,” he was quoted as saying.

He said the family would not be pursuing legal action even if the Department of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH) finds BUCG culpable in its ongoing investigation.

The Star also quoted the family’s lawyer, Jason Ng Kau, confirming that BUGC’s assistance included monetary aid.

“However, we do not want to disclose the amount to protect the family’s safety,” he reportedly said.

According to Oriental Daily, the press conference at Sunway Resort Hotel & Spa today lasted only 10 minutes. Also present was Joice’s mother Yeoh Ang Hooi, 51.

The Chinese-language daily also quoted Khoon Ying as saying that BUGC had attempted to use various channels to contact the family, but the family had been unable to respond because it was preoccupied with Joice’s final rites until two, three days after her funeral on Aug 29.

“We thought it was time for us to sit down and discuss, and they have given us a big help including by providing the latest updates on the investigation report, as well as monetary aid,” he said.

Joice was instantly killed in Bukit Bintang on the night of Aug 25 when the crane hook from a construction site run by BUGC fell onto the car that she was driving.

The Penangite was only about a week short from her 24th birthday.

The police are investigating the case under Section 304A of the Penal Code for death by negligence, and are still on the hunt for the Indonesian national who supposedly operated the crane at the time and fled to his home country within two days of the incident.

According to the Oriental Daily report, the police have sought cooperation from their Indonesian counterparts to locate the crane operator.

BUGC was also one of the contractors under Consortium Zenith-BUCG (Zenith), which is responsible for the construction of the Penang undersea tunnel.

Since the crane incident, however, the Penang government consented to Zenith’s request to have BUGC dropped from the consortium.

This is because the company had supposedly refused to be held accountable over the tragedy, according to Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng.

“I have stated that those who are wrong have to be accountable for their crimes,” Lim told a press conference on Tuesday.

“This is because Penang wants responsible contractors, not those who play with Malaysians’ lives, and we do not want those who refuse to be responsible for accidents involving their own firms,” he added.

BUGC would not be receiving any compensation from the Penang government, as the government views it as a breach of contractual obligation.

Read more like this :
View Comments (0)
ADS
Most Read
Most Commented
Most Recent
ADS