Malaysiakini News

IS claims responsibility for London attack

dpa  |  Published:  |  Modified:

The Islamic State militia has claimed responsibility for the terror attack in London.The group''s semi-official Amaq news agency claimed responsibility late Sunday in an online messaging service, Telegram. Its authenticity could not be verified.

The SITE Intelligence Group earlier said that Amaq reported that "the June 3, 2017 vehicular and stabbing attacks in London, England were carried out by fighters of the Islamic State.

"Seven people were killed and more than 48 injured late Saturday when three men drove a van into pedestrians on London Bridge before stabbing people at bars and restaurants in nearby Borough Market.

Twelve people have been arrested in London so far in connection with the attack.

Three attackers were shot dead by police eight minutes after they received the first emergency call at 10:08 pm on Saturday (2108 GMT).

The three male attackers were wearing fake explosives vests.

Health officials said 36 people remained under hospital treatment on Sunday, including 21 in critical condition.

Two police officers were also among the injured.

Supporters of the Islamic State terrorist group celebrated the attack in online fora and chatrooms, according to the Site Intelligence Group, which analyzes jihadist propaganda.

On the day of the attack, members of an online chat group close to Islamic State called for supporters to use vehicles, firearms and knives to kill civilians,

- dpa

Sign in


Welcome back,

Your subscription expires on
  

Your subscription will expire soon, kindly renew before
  

Your subscription is expired
  Click here to renew

You are not subscribed to any subscription package
  Click here to subscribe now

Any questions?
  Email: [email protected]
  Call: +603-777-00000

Renew