M'sians in London recall night of terror attack


Modified 6 Jun 2017, 9:24 am

Three days have passed since the terror attack at London Bridge and Borough Market, which saw seven innocent lives perish and dozens of people wounded, just two weeks after the Manchester Arena concert bombing. 

The attack on Saturday was the third in Britain in three months. The first happened on March 22 when a sports utility vehicle plowed into pedestrians on the Westminster Bridge and the driver behind the wheel stabbed a policeman on duty outside the British parliament. 

Following these horrific events, Malaysians in London are moving on with their lives, albeit in a more vigilant manner.

Angel Ting, 26, who works in Dublin, Ireland, told Bernama that she was in London for two nights beginning last Friday to visit a friend who lives at an apartment near the Tower of London.

She recalled the police pushing people off the street and into her friend's apartment building on the night of the incident, and she though they would be locked in until Sunday.

Ting said she was preparing dinner as the incidents unfolded and only found out about the attack when her roommate in Dublin texted her, asking if she was alright.

She and her friends would from now on, make sure that they are aware of the nearest exit (in public places) and avoid going to crowded tourist spots, said the marketing specialist for a software company.

Azizi Nawawi, 31, feels unsafe, especially when being in public places, like the underground train station, or when travelling on the bus in the city.

He noted that the magnitude of the recent attack was a lot worse than the parliament incident as it involved a higher number of casualties, and was carried out in two different locations.

Azizi said he was at a friend's house, about 15 minutes' walking distance from the London bridge, when the attack happened and he found out about it as it unfolded, through the breaking news feature of the Sky News app.

"Shortly after that, we saw ambulances and police cars rushing to the scene and helicopters were hovering overhead for two to three hours," recalled the PhD candidate in Chemistry at the Imperial College London.

Despite the attacks being blamed on British Muslims, Azizi said Londoners still treated the rest of the Muslims there with respect.

Law graduate Nuradilah Azil, 26, and her fiance were forced to use a different route to get to their home that night.

"When I reached the underground station, people were starting to panic. I got on the tube and there was an announcement saying the station next to where I live (Bank Underground Station), was on lockdown.

"When my fiance and I got on a different tube line, we were told all trains were stopping. People were freaking out as they could not go home. Uber was fully booked and buses were being redirected," recalled the law graduate from the London School of Economics and Political Science.

"It was chaotic. When I finally arrived around the street near where I'm staying, people were running frantically and that made me feel very uncomfortable."

Nuradilah said she did not go out much after the attack, except to buy groceries at a Muslim neighbourhood.

"As a Muslim, I am scared to go out but I don't think people are being particularly aggressive towards Muslims. I think everyone is just moving on," she added.



Share this story