Inspector-general of police Mohamad Fuzi Harun has ordered the Kuala Lumpur police to set up a special task force to probe the information leak on the Darul Quran Ittifaqiyah tahfiz incident.
The Star Online quoted Mohamad Fuzi saying that he has ordered city police chief Comm Amar Singh (photo) to look into the matter, following the leak over the weekend.
"This is a serious matter and it is not the first time something like this has happened. We are probing this internally and as a criminal case," Mohamad Fuzi told reporters at a press conference in Bukit Aman today.
According to him, 13 policemen have already been questioned over the leak and more, including individuals outside the force, could also be hauled up to have their statements taken.
The leak of information is being probed under Section 203A of the Penal Code for disclosure of information, as well as Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998.
This comes after the details of the case and photographs of the teenage suspects in the case were circulated on social media.
The tragedy in the early hours of last Thursday saw the tahfiz school in Jalan Keramat Hujung being set alight, killing 21 students and two students.
Police have so far nabbed seven suspects between the ages of 11 and 18, and remanded them over the incident. Six of the suspects tested positive for drugs.
Meanwhile, Education Minister Mahdzir Khalid was reported in Berita Harian Online saying the suspects in the case were expelled from school several years ago due to disciplinary issues.
This includes playing truant, even after the school's representatives paid repeated visits to the students' homes, he said.
"There was one suspect who did not attend school between 2012 and 2016. There was a 16-year-old suspect who enrolled for Form One in 2012 but never turned up at school after that.
"The 18-year-old suspect completed his schooling and continued his studies at GiatMara," he said. The source quoted in the story, however, said the suspect is no longer studying in GiatMara.