Deputy Prime Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi and four others succeeded in their bid to strike out an originating summons filed by Persatuan Hindraf Malaysia chairperson P Waythamoorthy and 18 others for a declaration on international Islamic preacher Zakir Naik.
This followed a decision in chambers by High Court judge Azizah Nawawi in allowing the application by Zahid (photo), the Immigration Department director-general, the National Registration Department director-general, inspector-general of police and the Malaysian government.
Waythamoorthy and 18 others had filed the originating summons seeking a declaration that Zakir was a threat to national security and prohibited from entering Malaysia.
Present at the chamber proceeding today were senior federal counsel Khairul Nizam Mohd Kamal, who represented all the defendants, and lawyer S Karthigesan, who represented Waythamoorthy and the other 18 plaintiffs.
Also present were lawyer Adnan Seman, who acted on behalf of Perkasa president Ibrahim Ali, who is an intervenor in the case.
Adnan, when met by reporters, said the court allowed the application by the defendants on grounds that Zakir was not named as a defendant in the case for him to answer the accusation made against him.
He said the court also found the originating summons petty, and an ordered the plaintiffs to pay costs of RM5,000 to all the defendants.
Meanwhile, Karthigesan said his clients would file an appeal on today’s decision.
In the suit filed on March 1 last year, Waythamoorthy and the 18 others, comprising politicians, lawyers and NGO members, had wanted the court to declare that the infamous preacher posed a threat to racial and religious harmony in the country and should be arrested forthright.
They also claimed that Zakir had encouraged terrorism, had been banned from entering several countries over suspected involvement with certain terrorist groups, and had instigated foreigners in the country to disturb the peace.
Unrestrained power in your hands
For almost 20 years, Malaysiakini has stayed true to the cause of providing the Malaysian public with the truth. We believe that with unadulterated information, the people will obtain power to make informed decisions.
Decisions which lead to a healthy, robust nation - ours!
Keep the truth alive. Support your robust, independent media. You have the unrestrained power to do so.
Who says it's not our fault?
We aren’t trained to take responsibility.
Everytime we observe an injustice - and choose to keep mum - the prevalence of injustice becomes our fault.
Astute journalism paves the way for the public to be continuously furnished with the fastidious truth. You are continuously empowered to act and to uphold the integrity of the nation.
The Rakyat owns Malaysiakini
We choose to take a risk on independent media because we believe that only through independent reporting can one be NOT beholden to the interest of businesses or organisations. This allows us to really pursue the truth - aggressively.
Independent for 20 years.
The victorious people
In the light of holding the truth to power, Malaysiakini will continue to uphold its mission of providing credible news to its discerning public. Your support for Malaysiakini is always treasured as a testament of innate nationalism. Your victory is our history.
Quietly. Effectively. Says it all. Malaysiakini.
Speaking truth to power
When we embarked on this journey 20 years ago, we knew we would face intimidation, harassment, raids, arrests and perhaps even jail terms. We got into this venture with our eyes wide open.
The main reason we have survived this long - when many others have folded - is partly because we are prudent in our finances. But while we may be tightfisted in our budgeting, we do not hold back when it comes to speaking truth to power and holding power to account. And certainly, this new administration will not stop us from continuing to do so.