A Chinese official has denied that fugitive Malaysian businessperson Low Taek Jho is hiding in mainland China.
According to the South China Morning Post, the Chinese official refuted the daily's earlier report that Low was believed to have travelled from Macau to the mainland.
"He definitely is not in mainland China, any claim that he is hiding in the mainland is irresponsible," it quoted the government source as saying.
On Tuesday, Malaysian inspector-general of police Mohamad Fuzi Harun said a police team had been sent to Hong Kong to track down Jho Low.
However, Fuzi said Low had moved from Hong Kong to Macau.
He added that a request was put to Macau to assist Malaysian police.
Macau police confirmed it received the request but indicated that Low had left the special administrative region.
The Star Online reported that a source said the authorities believe the 36-year-old tycoon has taken refuge in the Saint Kitts and Nevis islands, where he reportedly has citizenship.