Malaysiakini
NEWS

Immigration vows to free country of undocumented migrants from Aug 31

Bernama

Published
Modified 21 Jul 2018, 3:43 am

The Immigration Department has pledged to free the country from undocumented migrants beginning Aug 31.

Its director-general Mustafar Ali said the department would further intensify the operation to detain illegal immigrants from the date.

He said those who would be detained also include the employers who hire and harbour undocumented migrant workers.

"We have started the voluntary surrender programme or better known as 3+1 which enable all undocumented migrants in the country to return to their countries of origin voluntarily.

"So, they still have the chance to surrender until Aug 30 before we take a more firm approach," he told reporters after participating in Op Mega at two construction sites in Jalan Gambang, in Kuantan, today.

So far, more than 3,000 undocumented migrants have been arrested for various offences nationwide in Op Mega, which was launched on July 1, he added.

- Bernama

Share this story

Comments

By posting a comment, you agree to our Terms & Conditions as stipulated in full here

TERMS & CONDITIONS

Foul language, profanity, vulgarity, slanderous, personal attack, threatening, sexually-orientated comments or the use of any method of communication that may violate any law or create needless unpleasantness will not be tolerated. Antisocial behaviour such as "spamming" and "trolling" will be suspended. Violators run the risk of also being blocked permanently.

REPORT VIOLATORS

Please use the report feature that is available below each comment to flag offending comments for our moderators to take action. Do not take matters in your own hands to avoid unpleasant and unnecessary exchanges that may result in your own suspension or ban.