Malaysiakini News

Police deny Cradle CEO's stepsons detained over murder probe

Published:  |  Modified:

Police have denied that the teenage stepsons of Cradle chief executive officer Nazrin Hassan were detained to facilitate investigations into his murder.

“The (news) report is inaccurate. The number of those arrested remains at two,” Selangor police chief Mazlan Mansor told NST.

He was responding to Malay Mail Online and The Malaysian Insight which reported that the teenagers were detained in relation to a puncture wound found on the deceased's neck, which is believed to be from an arrow.

Quoting sources, the Malay Mail Online reported that the teenagers were members of their school's archery club.

“The boys were picked up as part of investigations as it is learnt they both play archery and there were other leads upon interrogation with their parents that led to their arrest,” said a source.

Earlier this week, police arrested Nazrin's wife and her ex-husband, both 43 in connection with the case.

Nazrin was found dead after being trapped in a fire on the upper floor of his house in Mutiara Damansara on June 14, with burn marks on 30 percent of his body.

Police reclassified the probe as murder under Section 302 of the Penal Code on Aug 3, following a forensic investigation report by the Fire and Rescue Department, which cited suspected foul play in the death.

It was reported that traces of petrol were found in the deceased's room following a lab report by the department.

Initially, it was stated that Nazrin died from injuries sustained when his mobile phone exploded.

In a press statement published in Malaysiakini on Aug 14, Nazrin's wife had criticised the authorities with regard to their investigation into her husband's death.

She said she and her family are being kept in the dark over the progress of the investigation.

“I have been told by the Fire and Rescue Department that the report by the department cannot be given to me because Nazrin's death is a high profile case.

“I have again written to the Fire Department and appealed for a copy of the report. I am not aware of any provision in the law that denies the family of the victim, especially the next of kin, access to documents because of the status of the case,” she added.

She also denied media reports that her late husband was on medication.

“The laboratory analysis in the post-mortem report further confirms that no common drugs, volatile substances and/or alcohol were found in my late husband,” she said.

Sign in

Welcome back,

Your subscription expires on

Your subscription will expire soon, kindly renew before

Your subscription is expired
  Click here to renew

You are not subscribed to any subscription package
  Click here to subscribe now

Any questions?
  Email: [email protected]
  Call: +603-777-00000