Malaysiakini News

Najib: Expedite process to return seized RM116.7m to Umno

Published:  |  Modified:

Najib Abdul Razak has urged the court and police to expedite the process on the RM116.7 million seized from residences linked to him in May, which the former prime minister claims belongs to Umno.

He was responding to news reports that the court had fixed Feb 11 to hear the police and government's application to strike out Umno's claim over the funds.

“Umno requires the funds for its monthly operational and political activities as well as to settle outstanding bills related to the 14th general election,” he said in a Facebook posting this afternoon.

Najib claimed that the police were still not prepared to provide documents on the seizure, including a copy of the police report which served as the basis for their action.

“It is believed it was a police report made by (former Umno man) Khairuddin Abu Hassan on Dec 12, 2014.

“Why was a raid carried out in May, 2018 based on a police report from 2014?” he asked, adding that the question must be posed to the Pakatan Harapan government.

Najib said the RM116.7 million was at the Pavilion Residences in Kuala Lumpur for just two days before it was seized.

“Political parties in Malaysia or those around the world have their respective election funds contributed by supporters.

“Expenses during elections are mostly in the form of cash. This has always been the practice, including during the era of the fourth prime minister (Dr Mahathir Mohamad),” he added.

Najib said he had previously exposed how Mahathir transferred RM1.4 billion of Umno funds to his successor after stepping down.

Sign in


Welcome back,

Your subscription expires on
  

Your subscription will expire soon, kindly renew before
  

Your subscription is expired
  Click here to renew

You are not subscribed to any subscription package
  Click here to subscribe now

Any questions?
  Email: [email protected]
  Call: +603-777-00000

Renew