The Kuching Sessions Court today dropped a case against Deputy Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Minister Chong Chieng Jen and former Stampin MP Julian Tan for allegedly taking part in the Bersih 4.
Judge Steve Ritikos made the withdrawal after the Attorney-General's Chambers argued that Chong and Tan had acted in accordance with instructions from the police.
The AGC said that if the were to proceed, it would be embarrassing for the police, as the evidence adduced clearly showed there was no case against the two DAP leaders.
Chong and Tan's lawyers had written a letter to the AGC to drop the case because similar cases under Section 4 (2) (c) of the Peaceful Assembly Act (PAA) 2012 had been withdrawn.
On Sept 17 last year, Chong and Tan were discharged and acquitted over their participation in the rally by the Sessions Court.
However, they were ordered to enter their defence after the High Court reversed the decision on April 6 this year.
Speaking to reporters after the court's decision, Chong said he had met personally with attorney-general Tommy Thomas on the matter two weeks ago and was surprised that the latter had no knowledge of his case.
“This is unacceptable as the letter did not reach the AG,” he said, alleging that there were some ‘little Napoleons’ in the AGC trying to sabotage the Pakatan Harapan government.
“I take this matter seriously. This only goes to show that despite a change of government, there are some in the civil service still practising what the previous government was doing."
Hence, he urged the AGC to be accountable for the previous decision to reject his application to drop the case, as the Harapan government allowed peaceful assemblies to be held.