Political agenda for Penangs second link, claims DAP MP
The actual reasons behind the need to construct the proposed RM2.3 billion second link to Penang are political and not based on public needs, an opposition member of Parliament said today.
DAP MP for Bukit Mertajam Chong Eng told malaysiakini that the Federal and state governments have diverted from the original reasons for the second bridge connecting the island with the mainland.
She said the link was originally supposed to have connected to central Penang to ease traffic flow into the island, but the latest proposal was for it to now connect to Batu Uban at Southern Penang from Batu Kawan on the mainland.
"The reason given was that it would help develop the areas. What is the real purpose now? The two reasons given have two different things," said Chong Eng.
"Politics more than actual needs (of the people) are the reasons for the proposed link," she said, adding the new proposed location would help 'certain politicians gain more votes in the next elections'.
Last week, Penang deputy chief minister Dr Hilmi Yahaya had criticised the federal government for not discussing the new proposed location with the state government despite being invited three times.
Hilmi said the federal government's consultant had turned down the invitations for a discussion without giving any reasons.
However, he said that feedback from officials showed that the new proposed location was a better choice as the southern parts of Seberang Perai and the island were still not fully developed and the construction of the link there would spur progress.
Construction there would be easier, he added, as there are fewer people living in the area, as well as fewer factories.
'Real purpose'
Works minister S Samy Vellu had said on June 1 that his ministry's decision for the 7.6km second link was final and it would be from Bagan Ajam in Butterworth to Bagan Jermal at Penang's northeast.
Chong Eng urged Samy to organise a public forum and meet the people of Penang to discuss the project.
"Citizen groups and state assembly representatives should be consulted about projects like these which cost billions of ringgit," she said, adding that no public interest group had been consulted about the project.
"As tax payers, we want to know everything including the real purpose of the link, how much the toll will be and for how long and how many years the Federal government will take to pay back the loan for the project," she said.
Decision soon
Meanwhile Bernama reported that Samy Vellu will be submitting various proposals on the second location of the second link to the cabinet soon.
He said the ministry had received a few proposals for the location of the second bridge, with some calling for it to be built in the southern part of the island, some suggesting the central part while others preferring the northern part.
"I believe the Cabinet will decide on the location. The Works Ministry cannot make that decision," said Samy Vellu.
For more news and views that matter, subscribe and support independent media for only RM0.36 sen a day:
Subscribe now