Malaysiakini NEWS

Students rushed to hospital after inhaling pesticide fumes

Bernama
Published:  |  Modified:

Thirteen SK Linggi students in Port Dickson, Negeri Sembilan were rushed to the hospital complaining of nausea, vomiting, and dizziness.

They are receiving treatment at the Port Dickson Hospital after being suspected to have inhaled pesticide fumes.

The case is believed to be due to the pesticides poisoning exercise of a chilli farm near the school. 

Nur Ezzadina Mohd Fadzi, 12, said she inhaled the poison while sitting for the Primary School Assessment (UPSR) pre-test.

"Before the test, a poison odour permeated the air, but while answering the question, the pungent smell was more pervasive. The whole examination hall had an overpowering stench.

"After the test, we started to feel dizzy, nauseous and felt like vomiting. The teacher told us to go to the canteen for a check-up because the nurse had been called to the school," she told Bernama today. 

Nur Sabrina Najwa Zakaria, 12, said that besides dizziness, nausea and vomiting, she also experienced blurred vision.

"This is the first time I have experienced this and after inhaling the toxic fumes, all my classmates suffered from dizziness and shortness of breath," she said. 

Following the incident, seven fire and rescue personnel from Telok Kemang Fire and Rescue Station and another six with Hazmat (hazardous materials unit) equipment from Seremban 2 Fire and Rescue Station were rushed to the scene to exercise control and preventive measures. 

The Negeri Sembilan State Health, Environment, Cooperative and Consumer Affairs Committee chairman S. Veerapan said the incident involved 24 students and all victims were in stable condition.

- Bernama

Share this story

Budget 2020
  • Infographic
    Budget visualised
  • Quiz
    What's in it for you?
  • Poll
    Love it or hate it?
  • Live blog
    Read our Live reporting
OR

Welcome back,

Your subscription expires on
  

Your subscription will expire soon, kindly renew before
  

Your subscription is expired
  Click here to renew

You are not subscribed to any subscription package
  Click here to subscribe now

Any questions?
  Email: [email protected]
  Call: +603-777-00000

Renew