Malaysiakini
NEWS

MTUC calls for IGP, Suhakam to probe shooting of factory worker

Published
Modified 24 Sep 2019, 3:14 am

Malaysian Trades Union Congress (MTUC) has expressed shock over the incident in which a worker was shot to death by police in a factory in the Bayan Baru Industrial Zone.

In a statement today, its Penang division secretary K Veeriah said such an incident has not occurred before in the state.

"Though we do not have full knowledge of the circumstances leading to the fatal shooting, what concerns us is whether the unfortunate loss of a worker's life could have been avoided," he said.

Veeriah said the MTUC wanted to know if the police officers involved could have neutralised the victim as opposed to shooting him dead.

Yesterday, police shot dead the factory worker who ran amok, causing the death of one colleague and seriously injuring another.

The deceased, a 25-year-old factory worker, had allegedly used a parang to attack a female supervisor, aged 47, and a male security manager at the factory.

The incident which occurred around 5.45pm led to the death of the supervisor, who succumbed to her injuries, which included head wounds, while receiving treatment at a hospital.

In a statement yesterday, Penang Southwest district police chief AA Anbalagan said the man, who had worked as a quality assistant for two years at the factory, was believed to have suffered from depression for several months and had been absent from work for a week.

The man had suddenly turned up for work yesterday despite having submitted a letter of resignation effective at the end of this month, he said.

"Policemen who arrived at the scene had told the man to give himself up, but he instead attacked them with a parang, prompting the officers to shoot in self-defence," he added.

Police have seized the parang and a knife, and are investigating the case further, Anbalagan said.

Veeriah called upon the Inspector-General of Police Abdul Hamid Bador to initiate a full commission of inquiry on the matter.

He also suggested that the Human Rights Commission (Suhakam) commence an inquest on the matter.

The incident follows another shooting case in Batu Arang, Rawang on Sept 12, where three suspects were shot dead by police, in which the family cried foul, demanding that the police justify their move.

"We believe such an inquiry/inquest would establish the fact as to whether the police personnel involved had acted within their standard operating procedures or otherwise.

"We are given to understand the worker reacted because he had been dismissed by the company.

"Thus, it is our view that an inquest, by Suhakam, ought to also investigate the fairness of the victim's dismissal, as well as the response of the police in the matter," Veeriah said.

Share this story

Comments

By posting a comment, you agree to our Terms & Conditions as stipulated in full here

TERMS & CONDITIONS

Foul language, profanity, vulgarity, slanderous, personal attack, threatening, sexually-orientated comments or the use of any method of communication that may violate any law or create needless unpleasantness will not be tolerated. Antisocial behaviour such as "spamming" and "trolling" will be suspended. Violators run the risk of also being blocked permanently.

REPORT VIOLATORS

Please use the report feature that is available below each comment to flag offending comments for our moderators to take action. Do not take matters in your own hands to avoid unpleasant and unnecessary exchanges that may result in your own suspension or ban.