Tronoh assemblyperson Paul Yong Choo Kiong has re-assumed duties as a Perak state executive councillor, amid his ongoing trial for alleged rape.
Yong said he had consulted with Perak Menteri Besar Ahmad Faizal Azumu, who supported his return to work after being pressured into taking leave.
"To this day, I stand by my statement that I was not involved with the allegations against me. I was persecuted and I am the real victim of circumstances," the DAP politician said in a statement today.
"I am very confident there is a someone who had planned this plot with the aim to bring me down as an exco member and tarnish my reputation.
"This is a dirty political tactic to victimise others, particularly myself as an exco," he claimed.
Yong (above), who is in charge of state housing, local government, public transport, non-Muslim affairs and new villages, had been on leave since Aug 25.
He had initially refused to do so despite calls for him to do so, including from the Perak Menteri Besar.
On Aug 23, Yong pleaded not guilty at the Ipoh Session’s Court to raping a 23-year-old maid at his residence in Meru and for the offence, he was charged under Section 376 of the Penal Code.
Lawyer Rajpal Singh, who is representing Yong, said on Wednesday that the defence would soon be filing a notice to transfer the case to under Section 417 of the Criminal Code Procedure.