NEWS

After lawyer's advice, Anwar won't pursue case against Yusoff

Published
Modified 28 Jan 2020, 3:19 am

PKR president Anwar Ibrahim will not be pursuing a defamation lawsuit against his former research assistant Muhammad Yusoff Rawther.

A source close to Anwar (above) said this comes with the Attorney-General's Chambers clearing him of any charge over Yusoff's claims that he was sexually assaulted by the Port Dickson MP.

"He doesn't want a reward or money from the lawsuit, just to clear his name," the source told Malaysiakini.

Yesterday, Anwar's lawyer Ramkarpal Singh said he had advised Anwar to drop the suit as it was no longer necessary to pursue it.

However, Anwar's political secretary Farhash Wafa Salvador Rizal Mubarak has filed a separate defamation suit against Yusoff over remarks the latter made at a press conference on Dec 4.

During the press conference, Yusoff, 26, not only claimed that he was a victim of indecent exposure, molest and a lewd proposal by Anwar, 72, but also that the police purportedly did not take action over his (Yusoff's) police report accusing Farhash of assaulting him at Anwar’s office in Petaling Jaya in May last year.

Share this story

Comments

By posting a comment, you agree to our Terms & Conditions as stipulated in full here

TERMS & CONDITIONS

Foul language, profanity, vulgarity, slanderous, personal attack, threatening, sexually-orientated comments or the use of any method of communication that may violate any law or create needless unpleasantness will not be tolerated. Antisocial behaviour such as "spamming" and "trolling" will be suspended. Violators run the risk of also being blocked permanently.

REPORT VIOLATORS

Please use the report feature that is available below each comment to flag offending comments for our moderators to take action. Do not take matters in your own hands to avoid unpleasant and unnecessary exchanges that may result in your own suspension or ban.