Under the second phase of the movement control order (MCO), the government would restrict the number of people in a privately owned car.
According to Defence Minister Ismail Sabri, only one person would be allowed to travel in a car effective April 1.
“Phase 2 will commence on April 1. We will increase (the regulations) in terms of movement control...
“I wish to stress that under Phase 2, movement is still permitted.
“But as mentioned earlier, when using a personal car, you are allowed to purchase groceries and whatnot but it will be limited to one person per car,” he told a press conference in Putrajaya today.
Previously, the National Security Council had mandated that only the "head of the family" was allowed to do grocery shopping.
On March 21, Works Minister Fadillah Yusof said that the guidelines, rather than a rule, was that police may allow extra occupants in the vehicle if there are valid reasons.
Meanwhile, Ismail said the public are advised to shop online instead of going out.
However, he said the public should avoid coming into contact with the delivery personnel.
"We encourage people (to issue instructions) to leave the food on the fence and for the delivery personnel to contact (the buyer) later," he said.
Phase 2 of the MCO - to limit contact between healthy people and those infected with the deadly Covid-19 virus - will last between April 1 and 14.
As of noon yesterday, Malaysia has recorded 2,470 cases of Covid-19 infection which has been attributed to the death of 35 Malaysians.
Keep up with the latest information on the outbreak in the country with Malaysiakini's free Covid-19 tracker.
Malaysiakini is providing free access to the most important updates on the coronavirus pandemic. You can find them here.
Help keep independent media alive - subscribe to Malaysiakini.