Group urges Ketari voters to seek govt accountability for racial clashes

comments     Susan Loone     Published     Updated

A group of concerned citizens today urged voters in the upcoming Ketari by-election to send a clear message to the government that the Petaling Jaya Selatan tragedy needs accountability to improve nation-building and race relations.

A press statement signed by Charles Santiago, M Manogaran and SP Pathi said the institutions of government have failed to deliver justice to the families of the dead and injured in the tragedy on March 8 and 9 last year.

The silence of the government is worrying. It has neglected its constitutional responsibility to protect the interests of poor minorities and other vulnerable groups, said the group.

The racial clashes in which six people were killed and scores of others injured, occurred near squatter settlements in Kg Medan and the surrounding areas in Petaling Jaya Selatan.

A report from the relevant authorities on the matter is yet to be made public by Home Affairs and Deputy Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.

Stumped civil society groups have resorted to requesting the Human Rights Commissions (Suhakam) help. However, despite numerous such requests made to it over the past year, Suhakam has yet to decide if it should hold an inquiry on the tragedy.

Referendum

The group of concerned citizens, who has assisted the families of those affected by the tragedy, is raising the issue during the eight-day campaign in Ketari which ends with polling on March 31.

For the rest of this story and more, subscribe for only RM150 a year. If you're already a subscriber, please sign in.

Sign in Subscribe now


Malaysiakini
news and views that matter


Sign In