Most Read
Most Commented
Read more like this
mk-logo
News
Nine from Damansara school get ministrys word to sit for UPSR

Nine standard six students studying at the original site of SJK (C) Damansara have been given a verbal assurance that they will be allowed to sit for the UPSR examinations in September this year.

Member of Parliament for Petaling Jaya Utara Chew Mei Fun when contacted today said the students will sit for the examination together with students from the school's new campus in Tropicana.

Asked if letters will be sent out to students informing them of the development, Chew said, "They have been registered for the examination under the school [SJK(C) Damansara in Tropicana]".

She added that parents wishing to follow up on the matter may contact the school directly.

The decision to permit the students to sit for the examination was announced during a press conference by Deputy Education Minister Hon Choon Kim at his office in Kuala Lumpur this morning, where Chew was also present.

Not recognised

Parents of the nine students approached the ministry when their applications to sit for the examination were rejected by the Selangor education department on the grounds that the school was "not recognised" by the government.

However, Education Minister Musa Mohamed said on March 29 that the students would be allowed to sit for the examination if they submitted an appeal letter to the Selangor education department.

Meanwhile, the secretary of the Save Our School committee — a lobby group for the original school — Tommy Chin, said he had been informed of the latest development but added that concerned parents and the lobby group were not called to attend the event this morning.

Chin told malaysiakini that parents are planning to make enquiries at the school's Tropicana campus next week.

When contacted, a spokesperson from the school confirmed that the registration has been made for the students.

The spokesperson who declined to be named said, "The ministry has announced this. Everything has been arranged."

Written confirmation

Parent Wong Yew Kong whose son is due to sit for the UPSR this year, said he was still waiting for a letter of confirmation from the Education Ministry.

"I do not believe it without a letter. Now, we have only been told of it but we would like an official notification," he said when contacted.

The controversy over SJK(C) Damansara started when the Chinese primary school — the only one in Damansara — was closed down and relocated to a nearby site in Tropicana last year.

A group of 59 students are still studying in air-conditioned containers which have been converted into classrooms in the grounds of a temple near the original school.


Please join the Malaysiakini WhatsApp Channel to get the latest news and views that matter.

ADS