Most Read
Most Commented
Read more like this
mk-logo
News
Kg Medan: Put it in writing and lawsuit will be dropped, Suhakam told

Lawyer P Uthayakumar today challenged the Malaysian Human Rights Commission (Suhakam) to state in writing that it will conduct an open inquiry into the Petaling Jaya Selatan or Kg Medan tragedy if the RM50 million lawsuit against the commission is withdrawn.

Uthayakumar said he will advise his client, V Subramaniam, to drop the suit — filed against the commission last month over its failure to initiate an investigation — only if Suhakam agrees in writing to hold an inquiry in a month's time.

"I dare them to say it in black and white. But I am confident that they will not agree to give a written confirmation because I suspect that Suhakam is aiding and abetting the government in hiding the truth of the tragedy," he told malaysiakini .

Uthayakumar, who is also Parti Reformasi Insan Malaysia (Prim) pro tem secretary-general, was reacting to Suhakam's statement yesterday that investigation into the tragedy be suspended in view of the suit.

The human rights watchdog added that it can only review the next course of action after the disposal of the suit .

"If they had wanted to hold the inquiry, they could have done a long time ago. We waited for a year, sent 42 letters, had five meetings and met four different commissioners but nothing was done. That was why we filed the suit, because we could not wait any longer," he added.

Suhakam 'bluffing'

Uthayakumar also questioned Suhakam's claim that it had to "suspend investigation", claiming that the body had not even begun its probe.

"What is there to suspend? I suspect that they are bluffing. If indeed they had started investigation, I dare them to make public what they had so far gathered.

"None of the commissioners had set foot in Kampung Medan. They went to all over the country for other things but, they never come here," he said.

Apart from Subramaniam, 52, who was injured in the incident, the suit was also filed on behalf of the other victims.

The defendants named in the suit are former Suhakam chairperson Musa Hitam, vice-chairperson Harun Hashim, commissioner Hamdan Adnan and former commissioners Anuar Zainal Abidin and Prof Mehrun Siraj.

The plaintiffs claim that Suhakam acted in bad faith when the commission failed to condemn the violence, popularly known as the Kampung Medan tragedy.

They also alleged that Suahakam failed to carry out its duties and responsibilities from the viewpoint of the Federal Constitution in defending human rights in Malaysia.

In the three-day violence which erupted on March 8, six people were killed and scores others injured.

Following the incident, a number of non-governmental organisations and political parties, such as Prim, urged Suhakam to conduct a probe following allegations that the violence was premeditated and that the police were slow in reacting.


Please join the Malaysiakini WhatsApp Channel to get the latest news and views that matter.

ADS