Don't stop dad from quitting, says Nik Aziz's son
The speculation that a transition of power would soon take place in Kelantan has intensified, with menteri besar Nik Abdul Aziz Nik Mat's son airing his thoughts about his father's retirement.
According to Nik Abduh, who is also PAS Youth exco member, nobody should stop Nik Aziz from relinquishing his post.
"My father is old and weary. He has given his best. If one day, he discloses his wish to resign, let there be no fools who would tell him not to do so," he added in his
blog
.
Nik Aziz, 78, has been the menteri besar for the past 19 years. The venerated Muslim scholar is also PAS' spiritual advisor.
Prior to this, there were suggestions that the veteran politician name his successor in order to prevent a power tussle in the state when he steps down.
Previously, Kelantan PAS deputy commissioner Mohd Amar Nik Abdullah said that a planned transition of power process would ensure stability in the party.
Following this, senior state exco Husam Musa, who is known to be close to Nik Aziz and has often described the menteri besar as a mentor and father figure, was touted as a possible successor.
However, Husam said that he is not interested in the post and does not wish to be linked to the issue.
Another name floating about is Kelantan deputy menteri besar Ahmad Yakob, who was also endorsed by Husam as a ‘better candidate' for the post.
Nik Abduh, who had just returned from a PAS Youth camp in Sepang, also conceded that the resignation rumours are causing tremors in the state's political landscape.
In an obvious reference to Husam, he said there is also talk about the resignation of a leader who is ‘loved' by his father.
Defends brother-in-law
Meanwhile, Nik Abduh also defended his brother-in-law Abdul Ariffahmi Abdul Rahman, the former chief executive officer of the Menteri Besar Incorporated (PMBK) who was accused of financial mismanagement.
Ariffahmi, who is being investigated by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC), resigned from his post after being told to do so by Nik Aziz.
Nik Abduh also lashed out at PMBK's former corporate communications executive Syed Azidi Syed Abdul Aziz, who was fired by Ariffahmi on Nov 11.
Syed Azidi later exposed the alleged financial irregularities in his blog, called 'Kickdafella'.
Nik Abduh described Syed Azidi's blog posting as ‘punishment through words' and likened the blogger to a ‘judge who metes out punishment in a state of intoxication.'
The menteri besar's son also criticised some of Nik Aziz's aides, who were more interested in cleaning their own names and "leaving my father confused and stuck in a trap"
Apart from this, Nik Abduh also announced his intention to quit all his political positions as well as a Kota Bharu councillor next year.
This is in order to open a ‘new chapter,' he said.
For more news and views that matter, subscribe and support independent media for only RM0.36 sen a day:
Subscribe now