Curb subordinates tongue, PAS leaders told

comments     Claudia Theophilus     Published     Updated

Top PAS leaders should advise party central committee member and Kuala Kedah MP Mohamad Sabu to stop using vulgarities against Umno leaders, the prime minister's political secretary Dusuki Ahmad said in Kelantan last night.

He said Pas' mursyidul am (spiritual leader) Nik Abdul Aziz Nik Mat and acting president Abdul Hadi Awang should prevent their subordinates from exceeding the parameters set by Islam.

"Nik Aziz and Abdul Hadi should give their advice if they admit that they are from a party that champions Islam," Bernama quoted him as saying at a function for journalists in Kota Baru last night.

The national new agency said the state-run Radio Television Malaysia had for the past few days been airing clippings of a PAS ceramah where Mohamad Sabu had insulted Umno leaders just to garner votes.

Call for clean campaign

Yesterday, Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad was reported as urging the opposition to carry out a clean campaign and refrain from making personal attacks or using vulgarities during the two by-elections in Kedah scheduled for July 18. Nomination day for both constituencies is on Wednesday.

"Why curse others? It's not good and it's not our way," Mahathir was quoted by the New Straits Times as saying.

The English-language daily also reported him as relating how certain opposition leaders had cursed him and called him names, including accusing him of trying to play God.

The state seat of Anak Bukit and the parliamentary seat of Pendang fell vacant following the death of Opposition leader and Pas president Fadzil Mohd Noor, who died on June 23, almost two weeks after undergoing a heart bypass surgery.

The 65-year-old politician underwent a five-hour operation on June 10 and did not regain consciousness. He had been suffering from diabetes and hypoglycaemia (low sugar level) for the past 17 years.

Meanwhile, Dusuki, when asked about the response to the announcement of Mahathir's intention to resign from his government and political posts from October next year, said the PM's office had received so many letters and e-mail calling on him to stay on, that the staff have had to reply on his behalf.



Malaysiakini
news and views that matter


Sign In