Suhakam, police to investigate rape claims in Sabah

comments     Yap Mun Ching     Published     Updated

The Human Rights Commission of Malaysia (Suhakam) will conduct separate investigations into conditions at the Sabah immigration holding centres following allegations of abuse and death of several deportees there.

Suhakam commissioner Prof Mohd Hamdan Adnan, who is in Sabah now, said he will visit the detention centres with commissioner Simon Sipaun and several other Suhakam officials over the next few days.

"Tomorrow, we will try to visit the camp in Kota Kinabalu. I have already spoken with the Sabah police chief and will be meeting with him tomorrow," he said when contacted today.

Hamdan said that visits to two other detention centres in Tawau and Sandakan will continue next week because of resource and time constraints as Suhakam officials are preparing for Human Rights Day on Sept 9.

Asked if he was aware of the findings of the Filipino delegation who had visited the detention camps earlier this week, Hamdan said, "I do not know their findings. From press reports, they appeared to be satisfied."

For the rest of this story and more, subscribe for only RM150 a year. If you're already a subscriber, please sign in.

Sign in Subscribe now


Malaysiakini
news and views that matter


Sign In