Most Read
Most Commented
Read more like this
mk-logo
News
Ex-Sabah CMs petition for pardon heard by state board
Published:  Sep 18, 2002 9:45 AM
Updated: Jan 29, 2008 10:21 AM

The Sabah pardons board convened yesterday to hear the petition for pardon filed by Sabah Progressive Party (SAPP) president Yong Teck Lee, said Sabah Chief Minister Chong Kah Kiat today.

However, Chong declined to comment on the outcome, said a Bernama report.

"We have sat yesterday and deliberated several cases including Datuk Yong's case...I don't want to make any comment.

"We have to wait for the communication from the Istana Negeri," he was quoted as saying.

Under Article 42 of the Federal Constitution, the Yang Dipertua Negeri has the power to grant pardons, reprieves and respites in respect of all offences committed in his state, which shall be exercised on the advice of a Pardons Board.

The state Pardons Board comprises the federal attorney-general, the chief minister as well as three appointed members Henry Chin, Rahim Musaili and Fred Jinu.

Election offences

Yong applied for royal pardon from the Yang di-Pertuan Agong yesterday and from the Yang Dipertua Negeri three days ago in a bid to keep his Gaya parliamentary and Likas state seats following a recent Federal Court decision.

On Sept 3, the Federal Court rejected Yong's application for leave to appeal against an Election Court ruling that found him guilty of committing election offences in the 1999 state election.

Following the Federal Court's decision, Yong will automatically lose his Gaya parliamentary seat today.

Sabah state assembly speaker Hassan Alban Sandukong had previously declared that Yong is no longer the assemblyperson for Likas but a by-election is not necessary because the current term of the state assembly would end in less than two years.


Please join the Malaysiakini WhatsApp Channel to get the latest news and views that matter.

ADS