Most Read
Most Commented
Read more like this
mk-logo
News
Girl in centre of diplomatic row placed in children's home
Published:  Dec 9, 2002 10:04 AM
Updated: Jan 29, 2008 10:21 AM

A girl whose alleged rape in a Sabah detention centre created a diplomatic row with the Philippines returned to Malaysia today, ending a dark chapter in bilateral ties.

The 13-year-old girl, identified only as Angelica, was taken by car from the airport to the Princess Anne Children's Home, a government-run orphanage in the state capital Kota Kinabalu, a local official said on condition of anonymity.

Earlier in Manila, accompanied by senior Malaysian and Filipino officials, was whisked into a plane that took her to Sabah.

"She is fully aware of what is going on and looking forward to returning home to her family," a Philippines official told AFP , speaking on condition of anonymity.

"Her departure home closes this ugly chapter in our bilateral relations."

Angelica was wrongly deported to the Philippines in September along with thousands of Filipinos in a crackdown against illegal migrants in Sabah on Borneo island.

Initially thought to be a Filipino, the girl's claim that she was raped at a detention centre in Sabah caused anger among Filipinos.

Philippine President Gloria Arroyo shot a strongly-worded letter to Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad asking him to immediately act on the complaint. A diplomatic protest was also lodged against Malaysia.


Please join the Malaysiakini WhatsApp Channel to get the latest news and views that matter.

Unlocking Article
Unlocking Article
ADS