So Pakatan's destroyer wants to keep it alive?

comments     Published     Updated

DAP supremo Lim Kit Siang said he found it strange the man most responsible for the death of Pakatan Rakyat, now wishes for the coalition to stay alive.

He said this in reference to PAS president Abdul Hadi Awang, who rebutted DAP's stance that the opposition coalition is dead and insisted Pakatan is still "alive".

"I find it strange that Hadi is claiming that Pakatan is not dead when for the past year he had single-handedly destroyed Pakatan by violating the Pakatan common policy framework as well as the Pakatan consensus operational principle," said Lim in a statement today.

Lim ( photo ) said these were the two pillars of Pakatan's success in the 13th general election, and without these, the coalition cannot exist.

DAP on Tuesday declared the demise of Pakatan after PAS earlier this month passed a motion at its muktamar proposing to sever ties with DAP. 

 

Lim said Pakatan had not been able to function for a year due to Abdul Hadi refusing to abide by these principles and the coalition had only existed in name.

 

"Abdul Hadi either refused to attend the Pakatan leadership council meeting or vetoed the decision taken by the Pakatan leadership council which he did not attend but arrived after consensus was reached by the leadership from the three parties.

 

"Or even worse, undertakings were made by Abdul Hadi at the Pakatan leadership council but which he subsequently refused to honour," he said.

 

Conflicting positions

Lim pointed out that despite Abdul Hadi's insistence the coalition was still "alive", there still appeared to be conflicting stances in the new PAS leadership.

 

Most notably, he said, was Dewan Ulama chief Mahfodz Mohamed's ( photo ) acknowledgement that when the motion to sever ties with DAP was passed, he knew there was no "turning back".

 

The motion originated from Mahfodz’s Ulama wing and was subsequently passed by the central muktamar without debate.

 

"I do not want to go into details as we want to move on and keep faith with the hopes of Malaysians for change in the 13th general election to ensure that although there is no more Pakatan, the Pakatan common policy framework of national unity, justice and prosperity of Malaysians remains an achievable goal in 14th general election," he said.

 

Meanwhile, MCA deputy secretary-general Wee Jeck Seng criticised the former Pakatan partners for their confused signals about the status of the coalition.

 

"This shows that the three parties are putting their own interest above that of the rakyat's.

 

"What they are more interested is whether they can still hang on to power," he said in a statement today.



Malaysiakini
news and views that matter


Sign In