Hunt for MH17 culprits will go on, says Putrajaya

comments     Geraldine Tong     Published     Updated

One year on, the Malaysian government promised to continue the hunt for those responsible for the downing Flight MH17.

"(We want to) bring those responsible for this unfortunate incident to justice, but we are not pointing the fingers at anyone," Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak said at the MH17 Memorial Service held at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport today.

"(Finding the culprit) is important so that the family members can move on with their lives and find closure," he added.

Najib assured the victims' next-of-kin in his speech at the solemn event, saying that Malaysia will not stop looking for answers on the MH17 crash until they get their answers and closure.

Currently, Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai said the government will "singlemindedly pursue the trigger-happy criminals until they are brought to justice".

Malaysia is part of a joint investigation team that also includes Australia, Belgium, the Netherlands and Ukraine.

'Set up international tribunal'

Flight MH17, carrying 298 passengers from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, was show down over Ukraine on July 17 last year.

While Malaysia has received an interim technical report of the MH17 crash from the Netherlands yesterday and expects to receive a finalized technical report by October this year, Najib said that the criminal investigations will continue till at least the end of this year.

Liow added that he fully believes that the criminal investigations will go beyond that.

In fact, he revealed that Putrajaya is calling for an international tribunal to be set up under the United Nations Security Council "for justice to be served".

They have presented a draft resolution on the establishment of the tribunal to the UN Security Council, he said, and they are supported by the Netherlands, Australia, Belgium and Ukraine.



Malaysiakini
news and views that matter


Sign In