At least 10 involved in central Bangkok bombing
At least, 10 people were involved in the bomb blast near the Erawan Shrine in central Bangkok on Monday.
According to Royal Thai Police chief Police General Somyot Pumpanmuang, the group which was based in Bangkok had spent months planning the blast.
However, he did not disclose the supposed location.
"They were working as a team, surveyed the place, acted as guards, and provided materials as well as assistance to escape from the scene. I believe no less than 10 people were involved."
Somyot believed there were many people in the group, based on an account by the rider of the motorcycle taxi which brought the suspect from the Erawan Shrine to Suan Lumpini (Lumpini Park).
The suspect had remained at the place after alighting from the vehicle.
"The witness said the suspect remained at the place after alighting and therefore, there must have been someone to fetch him," Somyot told reporters in Bangkok today.
He said the Thai authorities had exchanged information with countries which had expertise on terrorism matters but did not name them.
Yesterday, the South Bangkok Criminal Court issued a warrant of arrest for the bomber in Ratchaprasong intersection and the police identified him as 'foreigner' in the application for the warrant.
He also urged the 'tuk-tuk' driver who drove the bomber to the site of the explosion to assist the police in their investigations.
He believed the suspect was still in Thailand.
Separately today, Somyot spoke to the press again, where he was asked to comment on a rumour that the suspect had been captured in the Sriracha district of Chonburi province.
He declined comment.
- Bernama
For more news and views that matter, subscribe and support independent media for only RM0.36 sen a day:
Subscribe now