Most Read
Most Commented
Read more like this
mk-logo
News
All schools allowed to join Penang’s N-Day festivity

The Penang Education Department has withdrawn the circular prohibiting all schools in the state to participate in the National Day celebration and parade organised by the Penang state government.

Its director Osman Hussain said the withdrawal of the circular was done following the state government's announcement it would no longer use the theme ‘Bersih, Cekap, Amanah’ (Clean, Efficient, Trustworthy) and instead use ‘Sehati Sejiwa’ (One Heart, One Soul), which had been set by the federal government.

Thus, he said the department had issued a letter of authorisation to all schools in the state on Tuesday (Aug 25) to allow them to participate in the celebration and parade organised by the state government.

“After the state government’s announcement on changing the theme on Monday (Aug 24), we also gave the permission,” he told reporters after the launch of the 2015 Splendour of Independence event as well as the opening ceremony of Kidland Penang, in George Town today.

He said a total of 28 schools in the state would be participating in the National Day parade organised by the state government this year.

Osman said a briefing with the Penang state secretary, Penang Education Department and schools involved with the National Day parade on Monday would be held this evening.

On Aug 24, the state government withdrew its theme ‘Bersih, Cekap, Amanah’ for the state-level National Day celebration this year after the Malaysian Armed Forces (ATM) and the Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM) decided not to take part in it.

In June, the Communications and Multimedia Ministry had chosen the theme ‘Sehati Sejiwa’ for this year’s National Day celebration.

- Bernama


Please join the Malaysiakini WhatsApp Channel to get the latest news and views that matter.

ADS