'Journalism not a crime' - raids on news organisations slammed

comments     Published     Updated

Human rights and law reform watchdog Lawyers for Liberty (LFL) has slammed the government raids on Malaysiakini and The Star , branding them as highhanded and unnecessary.

The police, backed by Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) investigators, raided the media organisations last Friday over their reports on the transfer of a Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) prosecutor who was involved in probing funds allegedly found in the prime minister’s bank account.

LFL executive director Eric Paulsen in a statement described the raids as an “overkill”.

“If the news reports had been found to be inaccurate or misleading, the correct reaction would be to rebut the reports and request the news organisations to retract or publish a correction,” he said.

“Such an overkill reaction to a seemingly accurate story - confirmed by de facto law minister Nancy Shukri in Parliament that the DPP was indeed transferred - is mind-boggling to say the least.”

Paulsen added the raids had sent a “strong and chilling message” to the media to tiptoe around controversial issues especially the “1MDB minefield”.

“It is clear that the raids were not necessary as an investigation, if at all, could have been done with the news organisations’ cooperation.

“The authorities must be reminded that journalism is not a crime and that press freedom remains an indispensable component of any modern and democratic society,” he stressed.

A laptop was seized from a Malaysiakini journalist yesterday during the authorities' second visit to Malaysiakini's office in Petaling Jaya.

Investigators also questioned a journalist from The Star on the same matter yesterday.

Minister confirms transfer

The authorities had four days ago seized computers from Malaysiakini and The Star .

Malaysiakini last Monday reported that MACC deputy public prosecutor Ahmad Shazalee Abdul Khairi was transferred.

Ahmad Shazalee was part of the team probing claims that RM42 million flowed from former 1MDB subsidiary SRC International into Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak’s personal bank account.

Attorney-General Apandi Ali denied that Ahmad Shazalee was transferred out of MACC but Malaysiakini's report did not specify this.

On Wednesday, Nancy told the Dewan Rakyat that Ahmad Shazalee was transferred internally.

VIDEO l 1.34 min



Malaysiakini
news and views that matter


Sign In