Najib thinks donation can cover up everything, says PAS
PAS deputy president Tuan Ibrahim Tuan Man today said that legitimising donations from government-linked corporations (GLCs) to political parties may be Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak’s way out from further explaining the RM42 million said to have been transferred into his personal bank accounts by SRC International.
“It looks like Najib now believes that the word ‘donation’ can cover up everything, just like how the controversial RM2.6 billion donations in his personal accounts has failed to jeopardise his positions in Umno and BN, even in the face of heavy attacks from (former prime minister) Dr Mahathir Mohamad,” said Tuan Ibrahim in a statement.
“In short, if there are any financial irregularities, (terming it as a) ‘donation’ is the way out because this is an accepted practice in Umno and BN,” he said.
Najib in a written parliamentary response on Nov 17 had said that there were no annual allocations by any GLCs or the Minister of Finance Incorporated for donations to a politician or political party.
Najib, however, also said that any request for such donations will be handled just like applications from non-governmental organisations, based on availability of funds in the GLC’s CSR budget.
Meanwhile, Tuan Ibrahim also said the Home Ministry should have referred to Najib, Attorney-General Apandi Ali and the Malaysian-Anti Corruption Commission (MACC) to track down SRC International managing director Nik Faisal Ariff Kamil.
He noted that Najib and Apandi had made contradicting statements on whether the MACC is expected or had already recorded Nik Faisal’s statement.
“Who is right? Maybe Najib, the AG and MACC are all right but it is the rakyat who had misheard. Isn’t the RM2.6 billion considered a donation?
“If such donations can be well received, the MACC should propose that the definition of ‘bribery’ be amended in order for everybody to be able to ‘enjoy’ it like Najib,” said Tuan Ibrahim.
Nik Faisal is among five individuals connected to investigations on state-investment arm 1MDB, along with businessman Low Taek Jho, former 1MDB executives Casey Tang and Jasmine Loo and Deutsche Bank country manager Yusof Annuar Yaacob.
Home Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi in a written parliamentary response on Nov 17 said that Interpol could not detect or determine their whereabouts since there is no investigation undertaken by the police against them.
For more news and views that matter, subscribe and support independent media for only RM0.36 sen a day:
Subscribe now