Rela man among suspects nabbed in anti-terror swoop

comments     Published     Updated

A People’s Volunteer Corps (Rela) member has been among those arrested with suspected links to terror groups.

Inspector-general of police Khalid Abu Bakar said five suspects were arrested between Nov 17 and Dec 1 during operations held in Selangor, Kuala Lumpur, Kelantan and Johor.

The suspects, aged between 25 and 59, consist of one Malaysian (the Rela member) as well four foreign citizens.

“Three of the suspects, who were arrested in Kelantan, Selangor and Johor, are cell members believed to be involved with the Islamic State (IS) terror group,” said Khalid ( photo ) in a statement today.

The head of the cell is an Indonesian man aged 31 who works as a mechanic at a lorry workshop.

He had allegedly pledged his allegiance to the head of the terror group - Abu Bakar al Baghdadi - through Facebook last year.

The man, who was arrested in Johor, is suspected to have acted as a facilitator who arranges individuals - both from Malaysia and Southeast Asia - who are interested to join IS in Syria.

The oldest of the suspects and the sole Malaysian nabbed is a 59-year-old tailor and Rela member. He was arrested in Kota Bharu, Kelantan and is suspected to be responsible in recruiting new members of the cell to be involved in terror activities outside the country.

Another suspect is a Bangladeshi who works as a technician at a private company. The 25-year-old was planning to join IS in Syria.

The three will be investigated under the Security Offences (Special Measures) Act (Sosma) (Act 47).

The other two suspects, caught in Kuala Lumpur, were arrested under the Immigration Act and will be deported.

One of them is a 44-year-old European who works as a temporary English teacher in Penang. He is believed to have once joined the al-Qaeda terror group and was involved in terror activities in Afghanistan and Bosnia.

The other suspect is from an African country and studies at a private college in Petaling Jaya. He is also believed to be involved in terror activities.

This is not the first time that citizens as well non-citizens have been arrested in relation to the fight against terror. Eight suspects were arrested on Oct 30, during operations held simultaneously in Selangor, Perak and Johor.

In raids across the country back in August, police arrested 10 suspects believed to be IS members.

Those arrested included a kindergarten teacher, security forces personnel and a former interior designer.



Malaysiakini
news and views that matter


Sign In