Two detained for allegedly insulting Johor royalty online

comments     Bernama     Published     Updated

Two men who were believed to have insulted the Sultanate of Johor and the royal family were detained in two separate locations in the country on Saturday.

Johor Police chief Wan Ahmad Najmuddin Mohd said the first suspect, 40, was detained at an apartment in Jalan Kolam Air, Off Jalan Genting Klang, Kuala Lumpur.

He said the second suspect, 39, was detained in Triang, Pahang, on the same day.

Police seized a cellphone from the first suspect and two cellphones from the second suspect.

"Police also found photographs of the Sultan of Johor (Sultan Ibrahim Almarhum Sultan Iskandar) and the Tunku Mahkota Johor (Tunku Ismail Sultan Ibrahim) which had been used by the second suspect to upload pictures on Facebook," he told reporters at the Johor Police Contingent Headquarters here, today.

He said both were investigated under Section 4 (1) of the Sedition Act 1948 which provided for a fine not exceeding RM5,000 or jail not less than three years, or both.

Both suspects were remanded for four days from Dec 19 for further investigation, he said.

Wan Ahmad Najmuddin said the police were still investigating several other related cases.

"I wish to advise the public against abusing the social sites to spread slander-laced statements or instigations which can smear the credibility of the royal family or any individual," he said.

In addition, he also urged society to use the social sites professionally by taking into account sensitive matters which could offend other people.

- Bernama



Malaysiakini
news and views that matter


Sign In