Liow: Not confirmed if object in Mozambique belongs to MH370
There is no confirmation yet that an object found on the Mozambique coast belongs to missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, said Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai.
He said Malaysia's Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) is now working with its Australian counterparts to retrieve the debris.
"I urge everyone to avoid undue speculation as we are not able to conclude that the debris belongs to MH370 at this time," he said on Twitter tonight.
Liow was responding to international media reports that the object found on a sandbank in the Mozambique Channel could be debris from a Boeing 777, and is being examined by investigators searching for missing MH370.
"It is yet to be confirmed and verified. DCA Malaysia is working with Australian counterparts to retrieve the debris," said Liow.
MH370 was carrying 239 passengers and crew when it went missing from radar screens while on a flight to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur on March 8, 2014.
It has yet to be found although massive search operations were conducted in the Southern Indian Ocean, the place it is believed to have ended after diverting from its original route.
On July 29 last year, a flaperon found on Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean, was sent to France for analysis.
On Aug 6 last year, Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak confirmed the flaperon belonged to MH370, and the search continues for the aircraft.
- Bernama
For more news and views that matter, subscribe and support independent media for only RM0.36 sen a day:
Subscribe now