Forty-three non-governmental organisations (NGOs) have so far signed a declaration in support of Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak.
The declaration signed today is in response to the Citizens’ Declaration signed by more than 50 leaders from the political scene and civil society this month, demanding Najib’s resignation.
Among today’s signatories are Yayasan Suara Wanita, Veteran Umno Malaysia, Kesatuan Guru-Guru Melayu Malaysia Barat, Gerakan Belia 4B, Majlis Salam Sahabat SeMalaysia, Gabungan Pelajar Melayu Semenanjung (GPMS), Persatuan Ibu Tunggal Hulu Kelang, Majlis Belia Negeri Kelantan, Badan Bertindak Dan Penyelaras NGO Islam, Persatuan Kelab-Kelab Belia Malaysia and Persatuan Marhaban Taman Selayang.
However, from the purported 43 signatories, only 33 NGOs had actually signed the declaration.
Speaking to reporters after signing the pro-Najib pledge, Association of Former Elected Representative (Mubarak) president Abdul Aziz Rahman said collecting signatures was not the way to make Najib resign.
Najib, he said, can be terminated by the Umno leadership as Umno president or by way of a vote of no confidence in Parliament, or if he is insane.
“Not by way of collecting signatures. That’s not the process. This is against our system and the democratic process,” Abdul Aziz said at a press conference in Kuala Lumpur today.
Citing the Arab Spring, a revolutionary wave of violent and non-violent demonstrations and protests, riots, and civil wars in the Arab world that began in December 2010, he said many in the Middle East have suffered and were left homeless in their own land.
“This is actually an effort to topple the government and we want to avoid it,” Abdul Aziz added.
“What they are doing? Conspiring with the opposition, which was once the enemy number one and which does not like the special rights of the Malays? Do we want to share a pillow with such people?”
Mubarak to tell the real story
In today’s declaration, Mubarak and the other NGOs jointly stated their opposition against “certain movements” that aim to topple the country’s leadership and government.
“We express our disappointment and we wholly oppose such quarters who wish to topple the leadership,” said Abdul Aziz.
Commenting on the anti-Najib group which planned to go on a roadshow, he said the group’s plan was nothing but to incite the rakyat.
Mubarak and the other NGOs, therefore, will go on their own roadshow throughout the nation to “tell the real story”.
Former prime minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad led the anti-Najib group on March 4 to sign the declaration. The move has since been equally panned and praised by many.
Asked whether Mahathir was sacked as patron of Mubarak, Abdul Aziz said the association’s supreme council had decided to “say thank you” to the veteran political leader.
“Mahathir was appointed as the patron because he was a member of Umno and BN. Mubarak is made up mostly of BN former representatives and our objective is to support BN.
“When he left Umno and started conspiring with the opposition, we decided to say thank you to him who has rendered his services as patron,” he said.
Mahathir was appointed as the association’s patron in 2005 when he officiated at its general meeting.
Related stories
