Most Read
Most Commented
Read more like this
mk-logo
News
Cops cite drugs, booze, revealing clothes for concert cancellation

Police today said they decided to revoke the permit for the KL Urban Music & Art Festival because similar electro dance music (EDM) events in the past had been a hotbed for drugs, alcohol and revealing clothes.

"Before this, such events have been held in a number of locations and it was found that they did not bring any benefit.

"Furthermore, it invites drug abuse and we can also see that such events encourage open mingling between the sexes and the consuming of alcohol.

"And most of the women attendees wear revealing clothes," Sepang district police chief Abdul Aziz Ali told Malaysiakini when contacted.

He added that the decision was also to avoid a repeat of the deaths at the Future Music Festival Asia in 2014.

The KL Urban Music & Art Festival, also referred to as the EDM Rockstar 2016, was touted as the country's largest local music festival.

It would have been the fourth time it was organised by Tower Rocks.

The event was to take place at Sepang International Circuit on April 2, but had its permit abruptly revoked by police on March 26.

The revocation came after police received complaints from a delegation led by Sepang Umno Youth chief Norazli Said on March 23.

The organiser had obtained the permit some three weeks prior to that.

Promote local music scene

Speaking to Malaysiakini , Tower Rocks founder Mohd Izwan Abdul Halim said the complaints raised by Sepang Umno Youth were "baseless".

He also dismissed the political party's accusation that such events are out to weaken the Malay race, adding that it was to be a multi-racial event.

"Furthermore, it would also attract more tourists and music fans from abroad," he said.

Izwan said the event was intended to promote the local music scene.

"The purpose of organising an event like this is to promote local talent.

"It is a platform for them to expand their talents in the local music industry.

"Who else would help them (local musicians) if not ourselves?" he said.

Izwan added that the event would have also given an opportunity to local entrepreneurs to market their products such as fashion items and accessories.

He criticised the revocation as double standard and complained that it was done without any research.

"The question is, why do the authorities not cancel similar events when it involves foreign artistes?" he asked.

Izwan said the event will still go on in April but organisers are working to find a new location.


Please join the Malaysiakini WhatsApp Channel to get the latest news and views that matter.

ADS