Kini Roundup: Guan Eng vs Rahman fizzles, Donation-gate won’t close

comments     Published     Updated

Here are the key headlines you may have missed yesterday.

Debate showdown fizzles

The highly anticipated debate between federal minister Abdul Rahman Dahlan and Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng on the Taman Manggis land controversy was scrapped after police claimed it may affect their investigation.

Lim insisted that he still wants to take on Abdul Rahman on Tuesday as planned.

However, Abdul Rahman said he cannot go against police order , but vowed to go on a road show to highlight the land controversy.

On another debate front, Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin reiterated his readiness to debate Johor crown prince Tunku Ismail Sultan Ibrahim on the poor performance of the country's football but complained that the prince did not acknowledge him.

Gov't wants apology, Dr M wants proof

Khairy declared the multi-billion ringgit received by Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak as " resolved " after the Saudi foreign minister said he was aware of the donation without disclosing the sum or source.

Communications and Multimedia Minister Salleh Said Keruak said in light of the Saudi minister's statement, former premier Dr Mahathir Mohamad should apologise for suggesting the money came from 1MDB.

Mahathir is unconvinced , stating that a mere statement doesn't cut it and wanted to see bank statements as evidence.

Meanwhile, Umno veteran Tengku Razaleigh, who was previously touted as interim prime minister if Najib is removed, said he will not take sides in the battle between Mahathir and Najib.

Guan Eng is commander without lieutenants

Meanwhile, Lim, who is also DAP secretary-general, cruised through Sarawak immigration despite several of his own people having been barred from the state.

Just as Lim appealed for his people to be allowed into Sarawak for the May 7 state election, another DAP leader Liew Chin Tong was deported from the state.

Liew said BN's move to ban DAP leaders on the belief that it can help the ruling coalition win the election was an insult to Sarawak voters as DAP's strategy had changed and the party now had more people in the state.

Meanwhile, Malaysiakini looked at how Sarawak Chief Minister Adenan Satem's move to give up several of SUPP's seats to splinter party UPP may cause infighting and inadvertently benefit DAP.

Other Kini bites

Save Malaysia secretariat said the new prime minister must enjoy majority support and is committed to reforms and eradicating corruption after former minister Zaid Ibrahim suggested that Deputy Prime Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi should be allowed to take the top spot .

Former deputy prime minister Muhyiddin Yassin roasted federal minister Azalina Othman in her own constituency for claiming the Public Accounts Committee had cleared Najib of wrongdoing in 1MDB.

Police is awaiting feedback from the attorney-general over four investigation papers against Mahathir.

Najib and PAS president Abdul Hadi Awang both made courtesy calls on controversial preacher Zakir Naik.

Looking ahead

Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak will be on a blitz in Sarawak ahead of the May 7 election, launching the preliminary works of the Pan-Borneo Highway and officiating a new Urban Transformation Centre.

Controversial preacher Zakir Naik's talk will go ahead in Malacca, where the initial topic on the similarities between Islam and Hinduism have been changed after generating controversy.



Malaysiakini
news and views that matter


Sign In