Malaysia has proposed that both countries cease sending ships into the disputed area starting midnight tonight, pending discussions on outstanding maritime boundary issues.
In a statement this evening, Foreign Minister Saifuddin Abdullah said this was communicated to the republic through the Singaporean High Commissioner in Kuala Lumpur.
"The action to desist would be undertaken without prejudice to either Malaysia or Singapore's position on maritime boundary claims over the area in question," he said.
He said Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad had forwarded a draft agenda for the meeting when he met with his Singaporean counterpart Lee Hsien Loong in Singapore last month.
"It is the hope of the Malaysian government that the meeting could be convened sometime in the middle of this month," said Saifuddin.
He said Malaysia had also communicated a protest against Singapore's decision to extend the country's port limits off Tuas.
Saifuddin said Singapore's Port Marine Circular No 9, dated Dec 6, was a unilateral port limit extension which encroached on the Johor Bahru port limits indicated under Gazette PU (B) 587 2018, dated Oct 25.
"This is a clear violation of Malaysia's sovereignty and international law.
"The government of Malaysia therefore called upon the government of Singapore to withdraw its Port Marine Circular No 9," he said.
Saifuddin's statement came just a few hours after Singapore Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen "strongly cautioned" Malaysian vessels against "encroaching" Singaporean waters.
Ng also posted an undated video clip of a Singaporean coast defence ship warning a Malaysian Maritime Department vessel.
Unrestrained power in your hands
For almost 20 years, Malaysiakini has stayed true to the cause of providing the Malaysian public with the truth. We believe that with unadulterated information, the people will obtain power to make informed decisions.
Decisions which lead to a healthy, robust nation - ours!
Keep the truth alive. Support your robust, independent media. You have the unrestrained power to do so.
Who says it's not our fault?
We aren’t trained to take responsibility.
Everytime we observe an injustice - and choose to keep mum - the prevalence of injustice becomes our fault.
Astute journalism paves the way for the public to be continuously furnished with the fastidious truth. You are continuously empowered to act and to uphold the integrity of the nation.
The Rakyat owns Malaysiakini
We choose to take a risk on independent media because we believe that only through independent reporting can one be NOT beholden to the interest of businesses or organisations. This allows us to really pursue the truth - aggressively.
Independent for 20 years.
The victorious people
In the light of holding the truth to power, Malaysiakini will continue to uphold its mission of providing credible news to its discerning public. Your support for Malaysiakini is always treasured as a testament of innate nationalism. Your victory is our history.
Quietly. Effectively. Says it all. Malaysiakini.
Speaking truth to power
When we embarked on this journey 20 years ago, we knew we would face intimidation, harassment, raids, arrests and perhaps even jail terms. We got into this venture with our eyes wide open.
The main reason we have survived this long - when many others have folded - is partly because we are prudent in our finances. But while we may be tightfisted in our budgeting, we do not hold back when it comes to speaking truth to power and holding power to account. And certainly, this new administration will not stop us from continuing to do so.