Malaysiakini NEWS

Chong Wei resumes training and rehab

Bernama  |  Published:

After being away for more than six months, national badminton ace Lee Chong Wei returns to undergo rehabilitation training at Akademi Badminton Malaysia in Bukit Kiara this morning.

This is his first appearance in the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) camp since he took leave to undergo treatment for nose cancer in July last year.

Chong Wei had earlier said he would be commencing intensive training on Monday.

He arrived at the centre at 8am, accompanied by two coaches, Hendrawan and his former coach Tey Seu Bock.

Chong Wei, a three-time Olympic silver medalist, however declined to speak to the media.

His last appearance was at the Indonesia Open in July, where he lost to Kento Momota of Japan in the semi-finals.

Later in the year, the 36-year-old player drew media attention when he withdrew from two major tournaments, namely the World Championship in Nanjing, China and the Asian Games in Indonesia after he was diagnosed with stage one nose cancer.

He was given a clean slate from the disease after undergoing treatment for almost four months in Taiwan.

Meanwhile, men's singles chief coach, Misbun Sidek said he was happy to see the shuttler returning to training today.

He said BAM gave Chong Wei the freedom to decide on the training and tournaments to take part this year.

“I do not want to affect his appearance. I think it is not the time to discuss further on his preparation. What I saw just now was just warming up at the gymnasium only,” he told Bernama.

Bernama

Share this story

OR

Welcome back,

Your subscription expires on
  

Your subscription will expire soon, kindly renew before
  

Your subscription is expired
  Click here to renew

You are not subscribed to any subscription package
  Click here to subscribe now

Any questions?
  Email: [email protected]
  Call: +603-777-00000

Renew