News Malaysiakini

Kelantan's Sultan Muhammad V resigns as Agong

Published:  |  Modified:

Kelantan ruler Sultan Muhammad V has resigned as the Yang di-Pertuan Agong.

This was confirmed today through a statement by the Comptroller of the Royal Household Wan Ahmad Dahlan Ab Aziz.

"The Palace would like to inform that the Seri Paduka Baginda Tuanku has resigned as the 15th Yang di-Pertuan Agong effective Jan 6 in accordance to Article 32(3) of the Federal Constitution," he said in the statement.

Article 32(3) states: "The Yang di-Pertuan Agong shall be elected by the Conference of Rulers for a term of five years, but may at any time resign his office by writing under his hand addressed to the Conference of Rulers or be removed from office by the Conference of Rulers, and shall cease to hold office on ceasing to be a ruler".

Wan Ahmad said Sultan Muhammad V had also informed the other rulers of his decision.

"Throughout his duty as the Yang Di-Pertuan Agong, his highness has worked to fulfil his responsibilities and trust as the head of state and played his role as the backbone of stability, the source of justice, core for unity and unifier of the people," he said.

Wan Ahmad said the sultan also expressed his thanks for electing him as the 15th Yang di-Pertuan Agong on Dec 13, 2016.

"He also expresses his utmost appreciation to the prime minister and government for its cooperation in governing the country.

"As the highest authority of the armed forces, his majesty is also proud of their sacrifices and loyalty to him and the country.

"To Malaysians, Seri Paduka Baginda Tuanku calls on them to remain as one in maintaining unity, tolerance to uphold their duty to the country so that a sovereign Malaysia will continue to be peaceful and harmonious," he said.

Wan Ahmad said Sultan Muhammad V will return to Kelantan to be with its people.

Since last week, there had been rumours of Sultan Muhammad V abdicating as the Agong.

Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad on Friday said he too had heard rumours, but had not received any official indication.

The Agong was on leave since November. In the same month, images of his alleged wedding to former Miss Moscow Oksana Voevodina emerged on social media.

The palace did not provide a response on the matter, and Mahathir said he too had not received an official confirmation.

 

Comment disabled for this story.
OR

Welcome back,

Your subscription expires on
  

Your subscription will expire soon, kindly renew before
  

Your subscription is expired
  Click here to renew

You are not subscribed to any subscription package
  Click here to subscribe now

Any questions?
  Email: [email protected]
  Call: +603-777-00000

Renew