A lorry driver was charged at the Magistrate's Court in Petaling Jaya today with obstructing civil servants from carrying out their duties, as well as rioting at the Sri Maha Mariamman Temple in Subang Jaya, Selangor, a little more than a month ago.
M Chandran, 32, pleaded not guilty to the two charges read out before Magistrate Nurshahirah Abdul Salim.
A group, including Chandran and several others who are still at large, was jointly charged with obstructing Inspector Mohd Nazmi Zulkafli, Sergeant Mohamad Faiz Abdul Rahim and Corporal Ahmad Zamran Mat from carrying out their duties.
On the second count, Chandran was charged together with 50 people, several of whom are still at large, as being a part of a group using criminal force which prevented a police patrol car from exiting the temple premises.
All the offences were allegedly committed at the front entrance of the temple located at USJ 25, Subang Jaya at 1.30pm on Nov 26 last year, and they come under the purview of Section 186 and 147 of the Penal Code, with each charge carrying a maximum jail term of two years or a fine, or both, upon conviction.
Meanwhile, an unemployed man also pleaded not guilty in front of Magistrate Mohamad Ikhwan Mohd Nasir for mischief by damaging a vehicle at the same location, at 4.30am, Nov 25 last year.
A Janagan, 33, was charged, together with several others still at large, with damaging a four-wheel drive Nissan Navara with the registration number WVS 3776, belonging to the company Modular Construction Technician.
The charge under Section 427 of the Penal Code provides for a minimum jail term of one year or fine or both, upon conviction.
The court allowed Chandran bail at RM3,000 for both charges in one surety, while Janagan was allowed bail at RM2,500 in one surety with an additional condition to report to a nearby police station twice a month.
The court fixed Feb 15 for the mention of all the cases.
Deputy public prosecutor Mary Phoon Keat Mee and Nor Baizura Mohd Saubian prosecuted, while both the accused were represented by counsel R Balamurali.
Unrestrained power in your hands
For almost 20 years, Malaysiakini has stayed true to the cause of providing the Malaysian public with the truth. We believe that with unadulterated information, the people will obtain power to make informed decisions.
Decisions which lead to a healthy, robust nation - ours!
Keep the truth alive. Support your robust, independent media. You have the unrestrained power to do so.
Who says it's not our fault?
We aren’t trained to take responsibility.
Everytime we observe an injustice - and choose to keep mum - the prevalence of injustice becomes our fault.
Astute journalism paves the way for the public to be continuously furnished with the fastidious truth. You are continuously empowered to act and to uphold the integrity of the nation.
The Rakyat owns Malaysiakini
We choose to take a risk on independent media because we believe that only through independent reporting can one be NOT beholden to the interest of businesses or organisations. This allows us to really pursue the truth - aggressively.
Independent for 20 years.
The victorious people
In the light of holding the truth to power, Malaysiakini will continue to uphold its mission of providing credible news to its discerning public. Your support for Malaysiakini is always treasured as a testament of innate nationalism. Your victory is our history.
Quietly. Effectively. Says it all. Malaysiakini.
Speaking truth to power
When we embarked on this journey 20 years ago, we knew we would face intimidation, harassment, raids, arrests and perhaps even jail terms. We got into this venture with our eyes wide open.
The main reason we have survived this long - when many others have folded - is partly because we are prudent in our finances. But while we may be tightfisted in our budgeting, we do not hold back when it comes to speaking truth to power and holding power to account. And certainly, this new administration will not stop us from continuing to do so.