KINI ROUNDUP | Here are key headlines you may have missed yesterday, in brief.
1. Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad claimed that new ship-to-ship (STS) hub project in Johor is public knowledge, but Johor Crown Prince Tunku Ismail Sultan Ibrahim said anyone who makes such a claim is lying because he, his father, and the Johor menteri besar are all in the dark about it.
2. As two ministries make conflicting statements on Lynas and its waste management, Mahathir said the cabinet will have the final say on the matter.
3. Former prime minister Najib Abdul Razak has confirmed that he has received an unexpected tax bill. He decried it as unjust, but declined to share specifics or whether it amounted to RM1.5 billion.
4. Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng said the Supplementary Supply Bill (2018) 2019 was necessary to make up for the previous administration’s commitments that were not budgeted for. BN shadow finance minister Khairy Jamaluddin told Lim to stop the “blame game”.
5. A directive that allows only four official portraits to be displayed in federal and state government offices in Kelantan originated from the Kelantan palace, according to a report.
6. Former Malacca chief minister Idris Haron has promised a feast of goats while campaigning for BN in Rantau, drawing condemnation from both the BN candidate Mohamad Hasan and the electoral reform group Bersih.
7. A large waterspout that struck Penang on Monday damaged 28 houses, while the cost of the damage is still being estimated.
8. A businessperson who holds a “Datuk Seri” title is to be charged in court today for allegedly accepting RM19 million from a contractor to help cover up investigations into the Penang Undersea Tunnel.
9. Terengganu Menteri Besar Ahmad Samsuri Mokhtar - who is an aerospace engineer by training - has weighed in on the feasibility of Aerodyne Group’s Vector, which many have dubbed as a “flying car”.
10. A traffic police officer struck by a car at the Jalan Raja Laut traffic light junction in Kuala Lumpur yesterday morning managed to escape serious injury, while the 25-year old driver was arrested.