The government is still awaiting clarification from the US ambassador to Malaysia regarding the country's decision to place Malaysia under the ‘K’ list in its April 9 travel advisory, Foreign Minister Saifuddin Abdullah said today.
"Not yet,” he said when asked if the US had responded to Malaysia’s statement on the matter.
Saifuddin was speaking to reporters after opening an international seminar on global issues organised by Universiti Teknologi Malaysia today.
The minister was reported as saying yesterday that Malaysia did not agree with the United States’ move, as it could have negative implications, especially on the tourism sector and business community in the country.
“We have expressed our firm stand earlier that we totally disagree with Washington’s move in classifying Malaysia under its ‘K’ list, as it means that its citizens are at risk of being kidnapped or held hostage (in certain parts of Sabah),” he told Bernama News Channel’s 'Ruang Bicara' last night.